One Ugandan Kids Choir is wrapping up their tour, and another is getting ready to join us! The current choir is headed home in a few short weeks and we are sure going to miss them!
In celebration of the end of their tour, we have something special to share with you. While on the road, we’ve shared a lot of funny moments together as the kids worked on their English and encountered new things. And today we’re going to share some of that laughter with you, through our favorite quotes from each child:
- Isaac: The kids got to see a lot of wildlife they don’t have at home. And sometimes they had no idea what they were looking at. Once, Isaac told Emma, “Auntie! I just saw a small bear!” The actual creature he saw? A groundhog!
- Yvonne: When Yvonne sneezed and nobody said anything, she demanded, “Aunt! Bless me!”
- Amon: Amon gets two favorite quotes. One is from the first time he saw an RV. “Look aunt!” he said. “Walking houses!” The second was around Christmas time when we were reading the nativity story. Putting what he’d just heard into his own words, Amon said “The Bethlehem star was like our GPS, but for the Magi.”
- Justine and Dorcus: These two figured out the importance of coffee early – “Aunt, you are still sleeping.” they said, “You are not yet awake because you have not taken coffee.”
- Leevan: The GPS’s automated voice provided endless entertainment for the kids. When it announced “you have arrived at, Souls Harbor Church of God,” Leevan tried to imitate it. “Here we are!” he said, “Souls Hubba Hubba Church.”
- Tony: A host family in Kentucky told the kids that the wild walnuts they’d harvested weren’t dry yet, and Tony thought he had the perfect solution. “I’ll just put them in dryer!” he said.
- Angel: Pennsylvania was a tough word for the kids to say. Yvonne once called it Pencil-Kenya. But Angel’s declaration was even better. When we were driving there, Angel confidently told everyone, “We are going in the pencil!”
- Irene: When Irene first encountered a fridge with an ice dispenser, she was amazed. “Look!” she said, “You can choose water, ice, or scrambled ice!
Aren’t these kids great? We’re going to miss them when they head home. Please join us in praying for them as they return and reconnect with family and friends in Uganda.
But don’t worry! We’ll make sure the kids are supported throughout this transition. And we’ll be in touch with them for years to come, making sure they have what they need to thrive in the future!
And for you, to help fill the Choir-shaped hole in your heart? There is a brand new tour on its way! We can’t wait for you to get to know this new group of kids. You can see their smiling faces, and learn a little more about them here. Pretty soon we’ll be sharing their funny moments and wonderful adventures. Please keep this new tour in your prayers, as they get ready for their big trip across the pond!
The Ugandan Kids Choir travels all over the United States bringing a message of hope, and sharing the power of God’s love through traditional song and dance. To support them on their journey, find a performance near you!